Uriah Nathaniel
Here is your birth story.
Early (0500) Sunday morning on July 26th I woke up to use the restroom. I noticed that something was unusual. I woke up your dad and told him I thought my water had broken. I got up and called labor and delivery and they told me to wash up and see if I kept leaking fluid and watch for contractions. (My midwife had already told me to come in if they were 5 minutes apart and didn’t go away after 2 tylenol, water, and laying down.)
So, I showered, dried my hair, and laid down. Immediately when I laid down the contractions started. That was 0530. I began timing them. They were already 3 minutes apart and slowly getting stronger. So...we got up called mom, called Dawna to come stay with your brother, and got ready to go.
We got checked in to the hospital at 0730 and settled into a room. They weighed me, hooked me up to monitors, and checked me. I was 50% effaced and dilated to a 1. They were just going to keep an eye on me until 0930. They checked again at 0930 and I was dilated to about a 2. They then said they would check again at 1130. At 1130 they checked the fluid I had been leaking all morning. It was amniotic fluid. So, they were for sure my water had broken so I had to be admitted for sure.
They got me moved over to labor room 4. I wasn’t allowed out of bed again until you were born. I was checked again and was about a 3. Slow progress. They allowed me to labor a while. Anna and Victor came to visit after morning worship and then Chad, Lindsey and the kids came by to visit. Your dad went to the house to put Jensen down for a nap so that he had a little bit of his usual routine.
My blood pressure had started rising a little so they wanted to check my urine for proteins but wouldn’t let me out of bed. So, they did a straight catheter.
Finally about 1730 I decided to go ahead and get an epidural just in case I had to have a c-section. I didn’t want them to have to completely put me to sleep. The epidural was so painful. I met Dr. Wiggins who was on call for the weekend. She said she would allow me to labor a little longer. I was about a 5 and 80% effaced...but, you were NOT dropping down at all. But, they let me continue to labor on. When she checked me she had to lay me flat and I had a contraction at the same time. It was so painful and the epidural medicine was so strong that I got very flushed and nauseous. I began throwing up in a bag while I was laying flat. I had vomit all in my right ear. Luckily all I had eaten was 2-3 popsicles.
Finally about 1030 Dr. Wiggins came in a and checked me again and I hadn’t made any more progress. So, we had to resort to another c-section. They placed a catheter and got me ready. I did discuss with her that I wanted my photographer in the OR and wanted to see my child born because it may be my last. She agreed to drop the drape.
Even though I had an epidural I was so uncomfortable, I was tired, and I missed Jensen. It seemed like it took them forever to get me prepped for surgery. Then they brought Josh and Kayla in. It seemed like another eternity waiting on them to cut through all the layers to get to you. Finally it was time to meet you. At 2323 they dropped the drape and the nurse anesthetist and your daddy help up my shoulders as they pulled you out and showed you to me. I cried and smiled and just stared at you until they had to take you to weigh you. They immediately brought you back to me and put you on my chest. I held you for about 5 minutes while they sewed me up. Then I just relaxed while everyone left and they finished.
They took me back to my labor and delivery room and I got to hold you and try to nurse you. I remember the shaking being pretty bad with Jensen...but, I thought it would never stop. My jaws were hurting so bad from being clenched with the shivering. You are perfect and beautiful. You look just like your father. Your fingers and toes are so long. You have dark hair and dusky eyes. You were 6 pounds and 13 ounces. You were 19 inches long. We apent the night crying and staring at you. Your daddy cried and told me how strong he thought I was and how proud he was.
Monday morning you got to meet your brother. He was so proud!!! He crawled up in the bed with me and we let him hold and kiss you. You are 8 days old today and he hasn’t stopped. He loves you so much! I was able to go home Tuesday morning.
Thursday I kept getting flushed and took my blood pressure and it was pretty high. Kellie wanted me to come see her Friday morning. Then Thursday night I woke up with a pain in my left calf. I figured I had a cramp and went back to sleep. Friday I got up to go see Kellie and my leg was still sore. She put me on blood pressure medicine and sent me home to rest. My calf pain kept getting stronger and then my toes went numb about 1800. Josh was in Arlington at a ballgame for his birthday so I called Ginger to take me to the ER while mom stayed with the boys until Josh got back. I had 2 blood clots in my leg. They started me on lovenox and I stayed 2 more nights in the hospital. It took having you to spend my first night away from Jensen...but you were only 5 days old when I had to spend the first night away from you. They let you come stay with me Saturday -Sunday though.
So, now I am lovenox shots twice a day for a few months and blood pressure medicine for a few weeks...At this point out family is complete :)
No comments:
Post a Comment